I have a glitter conundrum. I am not a big fan of it, but I love it. Yep. Love it and hate it, that’s me.
Let’s talk pros and cons of glitter for a minute, shall we?
- Makes everything bright and happy
- Adds a little bit of elegance and/or whimsy to your crafty creations
- Comes in every color under the sun
- Easily adds visual texture without bulk
- Easy to add to projects
- Sticks to everything
- Difficult to contain, aka likes to escape when adhering to projects
- Rubs off of “finished” surfaces (think glitter paper)
- Can be a health hazard (really!)
- Increases the time it takes to finish a project
There are certain glitter products that I love and don’t want to do without. (Stickles is the first that comes to mind.) There are other products I can live without, even though I have some in my stash. (Pots of glitter from superfine to chunky)
Since I have boys, coming up with ways to use glitter is sometimes problematic. We’ve used it to embellish ornaments and create celebratory pages. Luckily, one of my boys is into all things crafty, which means he comes up with ways to use up glitter, and would love it if more ended up in the craft room.
Also, I have nieces, which makes making pages embellished with glitter more reasonable, especially if the page is about their love of princesses or dress up or superheroes. Of course, my brother-in-law hates glitter with a passion, which somehow gives me more pleasure when I send a glitter laden page about his daughter his way. I am a terrible person.
So, what do you think about glitter? Love it, hate it, or hopelessly confused like me? What are your suggestions for using up glitter? (After all I’ve got a ton, and it needs to get out of my stash!)
I’ll show you some of my favorite ways to use glitter next time!